1. Tell us a bit about yourself name, location, affiliations, personal stuff.
My name is Katie Broderick and I live on Long Island. I’m 23 years old and last May graduated from the University of Delaware with a double major in apparel design and fashion merchandising. Since I was unfortunate enough to graduate in one of the worst economies ever I was struggling to find a job and turned to starting my own business.
2. Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I enjoy baking, sewing, photography, and construction. Although I believe those are all still considered creating 🙂 Besides creating other things besides jewelry, I enjoy spending time with my friends and family, being outdoors, and traveling!
3. Please describe your creative process how, when, materials, etc.
In the morning I will first check my e-mails and then I’ll spend most of my day creating new jewelry and photographing it for the website. Later on in the day I will update my websites and promote my new items. I use mostly gemstones and also glass beads for the flowers and brass and gold chains. I really enjoy using the stones that are more organic and have imperfections within them. I think this makes them more unique and one of a kind. When creating my jewelry I like to put together flowers that go together but don’t necessarily match, maybe a little bit unconventional.
4. What led you to start creating your art/craft?
For as long as I can remember I have been using different mediums to be creative. I ended up going to college for apparel design and once I graduated and was applying for jobs I began experimenting with jewelry in my spare time (which I had a lot of). From that point I just have been expanding my knowledge and techniques and learning as much as I can about the craft.
5. How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I don’t know if I made a conscience decision to use this medium. I’ve worked with so many different mediums that I guess this is just the one that stuck!
6. What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
I must say I enjoy everything about it. I do really enjoy doing craft fairs and other events where you can see the enjoyment other people get from your craft.
7. If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be and why?
I really enjoy baking and cake decorating. I think I would choose this because it’s really different from what I do know and I love not only being creative with decorating the desserts but also with the different flavor combinations. I also love working with wood. I often help my father with projects around the house and junior year I combined wood with my apparel design major which was a lot of fun.
8. What handmade possession do you most cherish?
I’d have to say that my senior collection from college is one of my most cherished handmade possessions. There were a lot of hours spent creating and sewing the garments but I have so many great memories from the long hours and late nights spent with my friends and I really enjoy the final product. It was a very proud moment showing it at our end of the year fashion show.
9. List five of your favorite books, movies, songs/musical groups, and web sites besides Etsy.
– anything by Chuck Palahniuk
– Water for Elephants
– Catcher in the Rye
– Domino: The Book of Decorating
– Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes
– Gran Torino
– 500 Days of Summer
– The Kooks
– The Shins
– Death Cab for Cutie
– The National
– Matt Nathanson
– Oh Joy! (www.ohjoy.blogs.com)
– Bakerella (www.bakerella.com)
– Love and Olive Oil (www.loveandoliveoil.com)
– Taste Spotting (www.tastespotting.com)
– Shopstyle.com (www.shopstyle.com)
10. What are your favorite features on Etsy?
I enjoy looking at the undiscoverd shops on Pounce and I think the Connections tool is really neat.
11. How do you promote your work, on and off-line?
I currently have a facebook page and a twitter account that I use to update people on my latest designs. I also have a blog that I have a look book on and use to direct wholesale clients to. Off-line I rely a lot on word of mouth, but I also participate in craft fairs and am planning some house parties.
12. In ten years I’d like to be…
In ten years I’d like to be able to use my business as my sole income and hopefully have moved out of my parents’ house 🙂
13. Where else on the net can we find you and your goods? Twitter, blog, Flikr account, any others?