1. Tell us a bit about yourself name, location, affiliations, personal stuff.
My name is Sharon and I was born in Houston Texas where I also live. I am a member of the Soap maker’s Guild, Etsy Texas Crafters etc. I also have a new boyfriend and we adore each other very much. As a matter of fact we giggle all the time and we are both in our 30’s.
2. Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I am a fulltime patient advocate when not creating soaps and spending time with my sweetie
3. Please describe your creative process how, when, materials, etc.
I don’t really have an exact process for creating ideas. They sort of pop in my head and I start thinking of shape, size, color smell and final appearance.
4. What led you to start creating your art/craft?
Several years ago I was pretty much confined to home suffering from illness and was seeking a new hobby that I initially thought about year’s prior and never pursued. The idea of soap making came back as a thought but not only as a hobby but for my own personal use.
5. How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
It was supposed to be local primarily but I decided on the Internet because I figured I could reach more people that way.
6. What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
That is my favorite question and I love to unmold my soap creations.
7. If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be and why?
If I had to choose it would be Internet because it gives me more exposure and more people a chance to learn whom I am and what I have to offer
8. What handmade possession do you most cherish?
That is toooooo hard to say because there are many
9. List five of your favorite books, movies, songs/musical groups, and web sites besides Etsy.
Movies: The Fugitive, Driving Miss Daisy, The 10 Commandments, The Bodyguard. Music groups would have to be gospel related such as Mary, Mary, Yolanda Adams and so forth. My favorite site is my blog oasisbath.blogspot.com
10. What are your favorite features on Etsy? What new features would you like to see?
Favorite features: Category such, search by forum title or post…Would like to see: a block feature, optional html to really make my page background standout and banning potential troublemakers from the forums.
11. What do you think you’re doing right for getting the sales you have? Or what tips do you have for other Etsy sellers?
One of the things is presentation, prices, quality, customer service follow up, quick shipping, made to order and most of all free samples. A tip I have for many sellers is to post professional looking photos at all times and make sure you do the research on your ingredients should you use the word “NATURAL”
12. How do you promote your work, on and off-line?
Word of mouth and internet
13. In ten years I’d like to be…
Self employed fulltime soap maker with my own retail space and a staff
14. Where else on the net can we find you and your goods? Twitter, blog, Flikr account, any others?
click the pictures to see the listings!